Friday, February 4, 2011

Own Up & Move On

“Some part of getting a second chance is taking responsibility for the mess you made in the first place” Jack Bower, 24

OK, so yesterday was the day I decided to work on attaining a healthy mind and spirit-because that is a pretty big part of being healthy, right? Makes sense. So of course this would mean (knowing my luck), that I would start out having a bad morning; the very morning I was going to start my “journey to a healthy (and positive) lifestyle”. This “bad” morning, without going into details, was one of those mornings that leaves one feeling insecure and not good about yourself. So I started to make excuses for myself and the mistakes I had made in the past few days.

This led me to take a short break from “life”; so lying down for a bit, I grabbed the first book I saw. The Success Principles, by Jack Canfield, happened to be what took my mind away for a bit. But it was really bringing me back to reality.

Chapter 1: “Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life” This chapter had words that I needed to hear at that very moment; “the only person responsible to the quality of the life you live is you,” “you can’t change the events, you can only change your responses,” “the man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it,” and “No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you.”  You get the idea. Basically, it’s up to me. Then BOOM, it hit me! Is the “me” I am today, capable of handling life the way I want? In order to set myself and my future up for success it has to start with me-a strong, confident me. I need to work on WHO I AM before I start the road to what I want to become. The person deep down inside of each of us is the one who is driving our bus-so who do you want that person to be for you? Someone who is unstable, unreliable, and insecure? Don’t forget that whoever “this person” is will have an effect on those you love, so it makes me wonder if it is selfish to not be the best you possibly can be? The person you were created to be.

 So, once again I ask, “Right now, am I the best I can possibly be?” No, I’m not at all the person I want to be. So, how do get there?? Good question.

This then led me to my next step-writing it down. (Which, by the way, I ALWAYS encourage to write things down-you wouldn’t believe the difference it makes) I encourage you to follow these steps if there are ANY areas in your life where you wish you were different or you feel you can improve. It’s easy-get a piece of paper and draw lines to make 3 sections.
  • Title section 1: “Who I Am Now” (here you write the things you’d like to change about yourself; i.e. insecure, not a good time manager, unforgiving, etc..)
  • Title section 3: “Who I Want to Be” (similar list that corresponds to section 1)
  • Title section 2: “How I Am Going to Get There” (Be specific, this is the most important one-the action list-this is exactly what you are going to do to get you to who you want to be)


Hang this up in a spot where you can refer to it everyday, and then do it.
For me, this is the first step I am taking on my journey to pure living-becoming the person I truly want to be and truly can be. Honestly, we will probably never reach that point, but I only hope it’s because the more we grow, the high our standards get. So, we can always be striving for better.

And, ironically, as I am writing this, my husband and I have been watching (and are now so very hooked) the series 24...hence the quote…and I think it sums it up quite nicely.

Questions of the day: Do I feel healthier?? Answer: Yes.  Am I satisfied? Answer: No. I’m going to take 100% responsibility for the person I am now, and move on to the person I want to become.

Goodnight.
P.S. The Success Principles is an INCREDIBLE book-read it-no matter what your plans are for life

6479757_the-success-principles-how-to-get-from-where-you-are-to-where-you-want-to-be.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment